Joan Dyer: Single-payer makes sense for California
June 18, 2017
A state-run system for health-care payment, like single-payer, makes so much sense for California residents. The savings from eliminating the for-profit insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies, with their big salaries, expensive ads, stock-holder profits, etc., will more than cover the added expense of total coverage for everybody — including vision and dental care. It's a no brainer!
Paying for it through state sales tax, rather than insurance bills, co-pays, deductibles and outrageous pharmacy bills makes sense to me. Small business will really benefit due to the $2 million profit waiver. Low income families get a break as well.
All the doctors I've spoken to are heartily in favor, so I would expect to see doctors from other states flocking to California, relieving our doctor shortage quickly.
Your comprehensive article on June 6, explains the details in a very clear way. The negative comments from Rep. Ted Gaines lead me to think he doesn't grasp the basics of the bill. Perhaps he should read it.
Let's all get on the bandwagon and support this legislation through the Assembly and onto the governor's desk. It's good for California.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)