Jacqueline Finley: Trump’s budget proposal short-sighted
June 14, 2017
President Trump's proposed budget is very shortsighted and inhumane.
Randomly cutting funding for struggling individuals and families, whether in the United States or abroad, doesn't end poverty and human misery. It increases it. If redistribution of monies is deemed necessary, it needs to be done intelligently and with reflection in order to ascertain how to help, not hinder, those in need.
The president believes that haphazardly slashing social service programs throughout this country and the rest of the world will solve serious issues. He is showing his lack of depth and is falling prey to the adage that for every complex problem, there is a simple solution (that does not work).
People aren't machines. Casting them aside to sink or swim so that big business and wealthy individuals can garner more of the economic "pot" reeks of earlier times when robber barons ruled society and the less fortunate were viewed as unworthy of concern or assistance.
Americans, regardless of political affiliation, need to put party preference aside and demand that Trump's proposed budget be rejected. Much more time, effort and thought are needed lest we start casting people into the streets.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County Sheriff deputies respond to shooting victims near North San Juan
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County