Individual rights to beliefs
December 26, 2012
Is it me or do I read the interpretation of the First Amendment differently?
It states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." I feel uncomfortable with those religious groups who are ignoring the many others whose beliefs are felt just as deeply.
I think it is so wrong to invade my life and tell me how to live. I felt that this was personified at the vice presidential debate when Vice President Joe Biden stated that he felt the same about his religious convictions as Congressman Ryan. The difference being that VP Biden added that, in spite of his deep religious convictions, he would never force his beliefs on others who have freedom to practice their own way.
There should be no laws proposed that will encroach upon individual's rights to believe their own beliefs. I can't believe that this opinion is only mine.
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Grass Valley brew pub details emerge
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- Alta Sierra road erodes after water main break
- Jerry Karnow to receive Public Safety Award from the Nevada County Law Enforcement and Fire Prevention Council