Individual rights to beliefs
December 26, 2012
Is it me or do I read the interpretation of the First Amendment differently?
It states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." I feel uncomfortable with those religious groups who are ignoring the many others whose beliefs are felt just as deeply.
I think it is so wrong to invade my life and tell me how to live. I felt that this was personified at the vice presidential debate when Vice President Joe Biden stated that he felt the same about his religious convictions as Congressman Ryan. The difference being that VP Biden added that, in spite of his deep religious convictions, he would never force his beliefs on others who have freedom to practice their own way.
There should be no laws proposed that will encroach upon individual's rights to believe their own beliefs. I can't believe that this opinion is only mine.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans