I-80 diversion: lower the road, don’t raise the bridges.
August 21, 2014
Regarding diverting traffic from I-80 down Highway 49:
What about lowering the roadway 16 inches? That's a heck of a lot faster and simpler than raising all seven bridges (especially the rail crossing). Some quick digging tractor work and repaving (Hansen Bros?). Possibly a slow seven days work each? All at once? Two days of ripping up concrete. One day tractor regrading. One day pour. Three days or more concrete curing?
Caltrans can't work that fast — if it's a Caltrans project? Hate the thought of raising that rail bridge. Where would that traffic be rerouted? Hope to create pressure, through the media, to possibly adjust the thinking of the brilliant engineers who need those 16 inches.
Hoping to reach Jerry Brown with this idea? But, The Union should be a great starting place.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house
- Nevada City’s Stone House fully up and running after year-long renovation