I-80 diversion: lower the road, don’t raise the bridges.
August 21, 2014
Regarding diverting traffic from I-80 down Highway 49:
What about lowering the roadway 16 inches? That's a heck of a lot faster and simpler than raising all seven bridges (especially the rail crossing). Some quick digging tractor work and repaving (Hansen Bros?). Possibly a slow seven days work each? All at once? Two days of ripping up concrete. One day tractor regrading. One day pour. Three days or more concrete curing?
Caltrans can't work that fast — if it's a Caltrans project? Hate the thought of raising that rail bridge. Where would that traffic be rerouted? Hope to create pressure, through the media, to possibly adjust the thinking of the brilliant engineers who need those 16 inches.
Hoping to reach Jerry Brown with this idea? But, The Union should be a great starting place.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Ideas swirl about affordable housing in Nevada City
- Now hiring: Grass Valley, Nevada City undergoing changes
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth