Gun control like Prohibition
February 18, 2013
Sheriff Royal has joined the growing number of sheriffs declaring their support of our constitutional rights.
In a very clear, insightful letter posted on his page of the county's website (http://www.mynevadacounty.com), Sheriff Royal, in no uncertain terms, reaffirms his support of the Second Amendment. He lays the blame for gun violence in our society mainly on not being able to see that "guns are not accessible to criminals and the mentally ill," not on law-abiding citizens having guns.
I can understand the emotional calls for gun control. However, banning things has never worked in the past — witness Prohibition. It is not working now, witness our war on drugs. And it probably will never work in the future.
Well done and thank you, Sheriff Royal!
Trending In: Letters
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum