Gun control like Prohibition
February 18, 2013
Sheriff Royal has joined the growing number of sheriffs declaring their support of our constitutional rights.
In a very clear, insightful letter posted on his page of the county's website (http://www.mynevadacounty.com), Sheriff Royal, in no uncertain terms, reaffirms his support of the Second Amendment. He lays the blame for gun violence in our society mainly on not being able to see that "guns are not accessible to criminals and the mentally ill," not on law-abiding citizens having guns.
I can understand the emotional calls for gun control. However, banning things has never worked in the past — witness Prohibition. It is not working now, witness our war on drugs. And it probably will never work in the future.
Well done and thank you, Sheriff Royal!
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house