Gun control like Prohibition
February 18, 2013
Sheriff Royal has joined the growing number of sheriffs declaring their support of our constitutional rights.
In a very clear, insightful letter posted on his page of the county's website (http://www.mynevadacounty.com), Sheriff Royal, in no uncertain terms, reaffirms his support of the Second Amendment. He lays the blame for gun violence in our society mainly on not being able to see that "guns are not accessible to criminals and the mentally ill," not on law-abiding citizens having guns.
I can understand the emotional calls for gun control. However, banning things has never worked in the past — witness Prohibition. It is not working now, witness our war on drugs. And it probably will never work in the future.
Well done and thank you, Sheriff Royal!
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death