Give the elephants a chance
July 25, 2013
At a time when fairs across our state are struggling to survive the funding cuts of 2011, we must make every effort to support our local fair.
The Nevada County Fair is a jewel right here in Grass Valley. I applaud the fair board for its courage to honor its contract with Have Trunk Will Travel. The elephants, born in captivity, rely on their owners to care for them. Like most of us in this economy, they are working for a living. What happens to the elephants if their job is eliminated? Who will provide them with a home and a purpose? Who will buy their feed and care for them when they are sick? Is being sent to a sanctuary where they wander alone with no job and no purpose the answer? When they come to our fair they are welcomed, petted, fed and admired. Let the elephants and their handlers do their job.
Let's celebrate our fair's agricultural tradition. Give the elephants a chance!
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)