Financial assistance available for Medicare Part D expenses
April 29, 2013
Medicare beneficiaries with incomes below a certain level may qualify for a program called Extra Help, which provides financial assistance for Part D prescription drug costs.
Individuals with annual incomes below $17,235 ($23,265 for married couples) and financial resources less than $13,300 ($26,580 for married couples) may qualify for zero or reduced monthly premiums, zero or reduced annual deductibles and reduced copayments for both generic and brand-name drugs. Financial resource limits do not count your home, one vehicle, or personal possessions.
People with full MediCal coverage automatically qualify for Extra Help. People with drug coverage as a retiree benefit should first check with their benefits administrator, because signing up for Extra Help may cause some people to lose their retiree coverage.
For information about Extra Help or if you have other questions or problems related to Medicare, free counseling is available from Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program. HICAP is a nonprofit organization that provides unbiased information and assistance for Medicare beneficiaries, including Long Term Care Insurance.
To make a free appointment with a HICAP counselor in Grass Valley, please call HelpLine at 530-273-2273.
Karin Hofland, Nevada County Regional Coordinator
HICAP Services of Northern California
Trending In: Letters
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed