Exluding nonprofits from Thursday night market an unwise move
February 23, 2013
The Union article (February 20, 2013) regarding the Grass Valley Thursday Night Market barely mentions the future planned exclusion of booths for nonprofit organizations. I do (or did) the scheduling of volunteers of the Nevada County Democrats booth at the market.
We registered voters, conversed with our neighbors and invited everyone to our "First Tuesday" educational forums. Our presence, along with other nonprofit groups and organizations, provides a necessary opportunity for local residents and visitors alike to appreciate the diversity of our wonderful area.
When I received an email from Nevada County Democrats Chair, Jim Firth, alerting me that we were no longer welcome at the market, I didn't understand. We support local food producers, local artisans, local eateries and local non-profits. We would hate to see the Grass Valley Market become less of a "community gathering."
Marilyn Chambliss, Grass Valley Market volunteer scheduler
Nevada County Democrats
Trending In: Letters
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance