Exluding nonprofits from Thursday night market an unwise move
February 23, 2013
The Union article (February 20, 2013) regarding the Grass Valley Thursday Night Market barely mentions the future planned exclusion of booths for nonprofit organizations. I do (or did) the scheduling of volunteers of the Nevada County Democrats booth at the market.
We registered voters, conversed with our neighbors and invited everyone to our "First Tuesday" educational forums. Our presence, along with other nonprofit groups and organizations, provides a necessary opportunity for local residents and visitors alike to appreciate the diversity of our wonderful area.
When I received an email from Nevada County Democrats Chair, Jim Firth, alerting me that we were no longer welcome at the market, I didn't understand. We support local food producers, local artisans, local eateries and local non-profits. We would hate to see the Grass Valley Market become less of a "community gathering."
Marilyn Chambliss, Grass Valley Market volunteer scheduler
Nevada County Democrats
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- Woman kidnapped from Alta Sierra home, Nevada County authorities say
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- Nevada County authorities say bones found near Lake Spaulding belong to Ruendi Ibarra, 26, of Stockton