Enough is enough
August 28, 2013
It's time to repeal the Patriot Act. The government has proven itself incapable of responsibly using the authority granted to it under this law. The original intent of the Patriot Act is laudable: protecting the American people from attack by foreign terrorists. It's not clear, however, how this can be twisted into justifying extensive, intrusive, and, doubtlessly, unconstitutional spying on the very people the law was designed to protect.
Given a choice between the government demanding access to online passwords and intercepting our private, domestic communication, I'll take my chances with the terrorists, thank you. In its zeal to protect us, our own government has proven itself a greater danger to our constitutional rights than any external threat could ever be.
NSA, I'm looking at you: If you can't be trusted to play with your toys properly, we're going to take them away.
Rough and Ready
Trending In: Letters
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum