Elephants at Orange County Fair
June 27, 2013
I read the comments regarding the decision of the board of the Nevada County Fair to uphold their contract with Have Trunk Will Travel. They are to be congratulated for standing up to a noisy minority.
I was a director of the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa, Calif., for 10 years, and in that time the elephants were at all times well controlled and never abused or mistreated.
The elephants were always a popular attraction, appealing to adults and children alike.
It should be noted that in addition to the elephant rides, Have Trunk Will Travel provided extensive educational elephant displays showing anatomy of the feet, dental features and diet and other interesting features. These displays seemed to be every bit as popular as the actual elephant rides.
Regrettably, the current Orange County Fair board capitulated to the animal rights crowd and declined last year to renew the contract with Have Trunk Will Travel. I would encourage your readers to visit the elephants' home to see how they live on a daily basis before making judgments without accurate information.
Capt. Emily Sanford, USN, Retired
Huntington Beach, Calif.
Trending In: Letters
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier