Elephant rides not entertainment
July 13, 2013
I was very surprised and disappointed to learn that the Nevada County Fair in Grass Valley has hired a company that uses elephants as "entertainment." I can only assume that Sandy Woods, CEO of the Nevada County Fair, and other board members are not aware of the abuse and inhumane treatment that goes on in training these magnificent animals to behave in such unnatural ways.
Elephants are intelligent, sensitive animals. The bullhooks and other brutal means of forcing the elephants to do behaviors that are unnatural to them are unbelievably cruel. It is our duty to not support and promote the animal abuse that is behind this type of "entertainment."
Debbie Buckheim, RN
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site