Elephant rides not entertainment
July 13, 2013
I was very surprised and disappointed to learn that the Nevada County Fair in Grass Valley has hired a company that uses elephants as "entertainment." I can only assume that Sandy Woods, CEO of the Nevada County Fair, and other board members are not aware of the abuse and inhumane treatment that goes on in training these magnificent animals to behave in such unnatural ways.
Elephants are intelligent, sensitive animals. The bullhooks and other brutal means of forcing the elephants to do behaviors that are unnatural to them are unbelievably cruel. It is our duty to not support and promote the animal abuse that is behind this type of "entertainment."
Debbie Buckheim, RN
Trending In: Letters
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier