Elephant rides not entertainment
July 13, 2013
I was very surprised and disappointed to learn that the Nevada County Fair in Grass Valley has hired a company that uses elephants as "entertainment." I can only assume that Sandy Woods, CEO of the Nevada County Fair, and other board members are not aware of the abuse and inhumane treatment that goes on in training these magnificent animals to behave in such unnatural ways.
Elephants are intelligent, sensitive animals. The bullhooks and other brutal means of forcing the elephants to do behaviors that are unnatural to them are unbelievably cruel. It is our duty to not support and promote the animal abuse that is behind this type of "entertainment."
Debbie Buckheim, RN
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Grass Valley brew pub details emerge
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- Alta Sierra road erodes after water main break
- Jerry Karnow to receive Public Safety Award from the Nevada County Law Enforcement and Fire Prevention Council