Drivers be aware
January 10, 2013
This is a note to the person driving an older green pickup filled with firewood and with a large log/tree trunk balanced on top on Highway 49 on Jan. 3 in the afternoon.
It's hard to believe you weren't aware that the huge log rolled off your truck and directly into the path of my husband's car. Going at the posted speed of around 50 mph, there was no way he could avoid it. Fortunately, even though he's in his 80s, he had the quick reflexes not to swerve towards oncoming traffic, which would surely have resulted in fatalities.
Instead he was able to head for the shoulder as the log hit the driver side, tearing the fender, the bumper and breaking the headlight and spinning his car around.
You didn't stop, but others did stop to check he was OK, but we have a $2,500-plus damage tab for our Toyota. Perhaps a New Year's Resolution of showing some responsibility and caring to others is in order!
Trending In: Letters
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Sixth-grader Josie Allen takes on Highway 49
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week