September 7, 2013
We've got a guy, Dave Humphers.
We've got a gal, Dorene Humphers.
We've got a family, Dave Humphers' family, whose members gave many years of their young lives to make a great high school, Nevada Union, even better.
Dave's father, David Humphers — my wife Roberta's brother — also deserves a standing ovation. David was always there at every game, running up and down the sidelines with his camera in real time, for Dave's archives. These films could be studied by Dave and the team to view each play, good or bad, and learn the art of the game.
My wife Roberta and I made every game we could and as we hit our 80s, we never missed listening to every play on our radio at home. As we sat in our living-room chairs, many times we would jump to our feet, "very slowly," when a big play turned into a touchdown.
We'll miss that, Dave, but your Aunt Roberta and I want to thank you for those wonderful years, when you and yours gave your all to your fans and Nevada Union High School.
Brodie and Roberta Riley, (a.k.a, Uncle Budd and Aunt Roberta)
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local