Circus elephants inspired wildlife activism
June 28, 2013
Several years ago, there was a small circus performing at the Nevada County Fairgrounds. I brought my two young grandsons, and the highlight of the show was a small demonstration of elephants performing.
At the intermission, children had a chance to have a ride on one of them. The boys had been to the Sacramento Zoo (where there are no elephants) but had never seen a live elephant. These boys were truly impressed and have grown to become interested in the cause of saving endangered wild elephants through this experience.
How many kids who live in our area have ever seen a live one? I think everyone will agree it is much more impressive to see a huge animal in person than on TV or video!
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed