Beware of phone scams
November 13, 2013
'Tis the season! For crooks and thieves to use the name of legitimate businesses in their illegal telephone blasts!
Card Services is a legitimate business, and so is Mimi Simmons, real estate agent. However, they never solicit people via telephone! Yet I receive recorded messages (telephone blasts) from "Card Services" about the loan I do not have! And from "Simmons" about real estate! The crooks behind these telephone blasts use the good name of businesses and business people to steal your money.
Do not be fooled and do not blame the real business people for what crooks do.
Never give your credit card information to anyone over the telephone unless you know the business and you call them. If you are on the National Do Not Call list and receive business calls, you can be sure that the people behind these calls are crooks.
To be put on the National Do Not Call List, and to report an illegal telephone blast, call the California Attorney General's Office at 1-800-382-1222.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death