Bear River musicians deserve recognition
December 14, 2013
During the third weekend in November, Bear River High School seniors Kenny Pease, Nicole Pastore, Lauren Brennan and their band director, Mr. David Ahrens, had the honor of attending the 35th annual Western International Band Clinic in Seattle.
For three days, they learned from and performed with world-renowned contemporary composers/conductors and professional musicians, including the highlighted guest ensemble, The Boston Brass. Conducting several of the clinics were Brian Balmages, U.S. composer/conductor, Mike Bankhead, U.S. conductor, and Jan Van der Roost, Belgium composer/conductor.
To qualify for this honor/band clinic, the students were critiqued from an audition on their chosen instrument with music provided by the WIBC board. Mr. Ahrens has annually led a group of his students from Bear River High School since beginning in 2004. There are four high school honor bands and one university honor band with more than 600 students participating at WIBC. Students from all over the United States are eligible to apply.
These Bear River High School seniors are active in the jazz band, marching band and symphonic band along with their other high school activities and academics.
Nancy F. Pease
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County