A deal with the devil?
March 7, 2013
I was in the audience recently at the board of supervisors when Doyel Shamley made his presentation. Please note that the "call" to attend was a concern about property rights and government regulations. At least half of the crowd were not residents of Nevada County. The main theme of Mr. Shamley's presentation was, in essence, to say the way to avoid fire hazards is to remove any restrictions to cutting and let the logging industries have at it. Thus, we will have more jobs, and more money goes to schools. Of course, no forest left … no forest fires!
Of course we need management for fire control, but you don't turn it over to profiteers — that's making a deal with the devil.
Trending In: Letters
- Serious drug charges dropped after tests show suspected cocaine was flour
- Rideout cuts to save $3 million include cutting ties with Nevada County
- Shooter at large after shooting at Monterey County school
- Penn Valley Market owner falls prey to false internet rumor
- Hilary Hodge: Doug LaMalfa should know no seat is safe