Keaton Richards, an eighth grader at Pleasant Valley School, holds up the bronze plaque he earned for taking third place in the 105-pound weight bracket over the weekend at the USA Wrestling California Middle School Folkstyle State Championships. Richards pinned his competition through the early rounds to make it to the quarterfinals and lost just once on the day in the semifinals to the eventual first-place finisher. In six matches, he scored two pins in the early rounds, a 2-1 decision in the quarterfinals, a 7-3 loss in the semifinals, a 58-second pin in the consolation semifinals and a 6-4 decision in the third-place finals, securing his ranking for the day. Next weekend, Richard will compete at the SCWAY State Wrestling Championships in Clovis. He qualified for the SCWAY championships by taking first at the Zone 1 qualifier tournament in February.
Community Sports: Richards finishes on the podium
Trending in: Letters
- Citizens’ Climate Lobby focused on ‘revenue-neutral carbon tax’
- Square dancing is good for your health
- They are just people
- It takes a community...
- Why vote when the judges decide
- Penn Valley wreck leaves man in critical condition
- Police blotter: Home invasion robbery reported in Camptonville
- Man offered plea deal in sex case
- Conservation collaboration: Water recycled for training use by firefighters