It’s time to legalize it
September 18, 2010
Jeff Ackerman’s editorial in support of regulated legalization of marijuana was right on target.
Prohibition proved that there are some substances that are just too easily produced and in demand to effectively eradicate, and so, despite the horrible costs to society that alcohol causes, we had no choice but to repeal prohibition in order to undercut the mafia.
How many more decades and billions of dollars have to be spent before people will realize that, just like Prohibition, the war against marijuana is not working, and is only pumping massive amounts of money into Mexican drug cartels, who, just like the mafia, are using that money to fund their other much-worse illegal activities?
It is true that until the rest of the U.S. legalizes marijuana, there will still be an illegal market, but if the same companies that currently produce beer were also in the legal marijuana business, increased supply would reduce prices, undercutting the cartels. Theft would not be a problem … companies could legally take effective measures to protect their crops. The real solution to this problem would be federal legalization, but that isn’t going to happen until someone takes the lead. Ask Arizona.
Trending In: Opinion
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- 16 people evacuated from Cascade Shores area
- ‘Spread the love’ event in downtown Grass Valley hits unsuspecting passersby with flowers