GOP should pay up
June 15, 2005
Tony Gilchrease, chairman of the Nevada County Republican Party, has said that spending $80 million on a special election is well worth the cost. An estimated $210,000 of this will be needed in Nevada County alone and will have to come either from reallocation of our tax funds within the county or statewide.
As the leader of his special interest group, Mr. Gilchrease is certainly entitled to his opinion. However, since 62 percent of likely voters statewide do not want this special election and since many of us prefer to see our tax monies used for constructive purposes, I suggest that Mr. Gilchrease and the Nevada County Republican Party offer to raise the money to pay the cost of the special election in Nevada County. That would be true participatory democracy.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)