Global warming pays
April 18, 2005
The recent column written by Mr. Crosswhite (April 1) “Global warming makes money, not sense,” was nothing more than a list of simple facts and a leap, with no connecting reasoning, to a conclusion that global warming is a hoax because … well, because the writer knows a few things that could have been cribbed from an elementary school science book or general encyclopedia. (I suspect scientists studying global warming know that volcanoes exist and the percentages of elements and molecules in the atmosphere. They may have considered those and the other items on Mr. Crosswhite’s list.)
To reduce the mass of extensive research studies on atmospheric degradation and the work of dedicated scientists to a sleazy get-rich scheme is an astonishing example of head-in-the-sand reaction to bad news.
I agree with the suggestion to follow the money. Those who think corporations profiting from oil have no financial stake in a petroleum-based economy – and the technological, political, and financial means to saturate our culture to promote their interest – are so fixated on the oil economy as to be blinded to reality and to the exciting and empowering possibility of extricating ourselves from the biggest mess we have ever gotten into.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)