Doolittle’s support for DeLay makes me mad
May 27, 2005
I’m angry that Rep. John Doolittle is supporting Tom DeLay. In doing so, he is abandoning his morals.
DeLay certainly has a lot of baggage; he sold DDT as pesticide, for goodness sakes. But what really gets me mad is that DeLay blocked laws that would require businesses operating in the Mariana Islands in the South Pacific, a U.S. territory, to follow the same laws that apply in the U.S. This seemed reasonable to me, given that those same businesses wanted to tag their products with “Made in the U.S.” labels.
DeLay visited the islands personally, a place well known for casinos, whorehouses and the sweatshops he decided to defend. These places employ young women imported from China and Thailand for their nefarious exploits, reported a joint undercover Interior and Labor departments investigation. They even discovered that when these women get pregnant, they are forced to have abortions, reported a pro-life group called Life Advocate! DeLay called this “Free Market Success.” Is this is the kind of activity Doolittle supports? Does he even care? Or is he simply content to faithfully follow his leaders, even when they do not act justly?
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Nevada County Sheriff deputies respond to shooting victims near North San Juan
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Shortage of construction workers in Nevada County reaching critical levels
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case