A non-traditional bird house creation by Wanda Dunn of Penn Valley took the Best of Show award for the gingerbread house contest held in conjunction with the 2012 Country Christmas Faire held at the Nevada County Fairgrounds November 23 through 25. The gingerbread birdhouse was a traditional shape but was unusual in its use of decoration materials, which included three type of rice, green peas, various seeds and grains, cranberries, popped popcorn, pink peppercorns, and rosemary. “It has a realistic organic look to it and was fun and challenging to create, “ said Dunn. It will be on display at the South Yuba Club in Grass Valley for a week, then at Tess’ Kitchen Store through most of December.
Bird house wins annual gingerbread house contest
Trending in: Columns
- Officials: Full containment of Lowell Fire approaches
- Lowell Fire in Nevada County closer to containment, reduction in firefighters
- San Juan Ridge woman gets fine, probation in neighbor dispute
- Scientists: Increasing evaporation influencing historic changes at Lake Tahoe
- After a tough childhood, Jackie Turner looks to spread hope to others