Back to: Opinion
November 8, 2012
Follow Opinion

Gas leak at Pioneer Park pool

A Nevada City man was helping an Eagle Scout with a public service project to implement eight benches around the pool at Pioneer Park when the pair reportedly ruptured the gas line Wednesday afternoon.

The park was subsequently evacuated by Nevada City police and firefighters while Pacific Gas and Electric dispatched service personnel to fix the leak.

“He and I were digging holes,” said Verne Taylor. “I actually hit the gas line that heats the pool with a digging bar.”

Luckily Taylor is also the city’s director of the Public Works Department and recalled the location of the shut off valve.

Nevada County Consolidated Fire District personnel responded at approximately 3:30 p.m. and the immediate area was cleared out including the park’s play ground. Responded public services members were on scene for approximately an hour, said Capt. Patrick Sullivan.

PG&E responded and repaired the leak, Taylor said.

— Christopher Rosacker


Explore Related Articles

The Union Updated Nov 8, 2012 03:17PM Published Nov 9, 2012 04:28PM Copyright 2012 The Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.