The League of Women Voters of Western Nevada County is concerned that historic voting rights protections are at risk. On Feb. 27, the U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments in Shelby County, Alabama v. Holder, one of the nation’s most important voting rights cases to date. At issue is the constitutionality of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the landmark legislation that outlawed racial discrimination in state voting practices. The court is being asked to rule on VRA’s Section 5.
Historic voting rights protections are at risk
Trending in: Ticker
- The Union's 'Best Of' voting now open online
- Mom reports stolen truck, weapons and cash
- He made it! The ultimate HALO - 128,000 foot freefall from space
- Jury finds in favor of Gallup
- Is it legal to shoot a gun in Nevada County?