The Truckee Police Department and the Truckee Fire Protection District have noticed the recent surge in popularity of ice-skating on Donner Lake. This is worrisome, authorities said, because while conditions in the past month have been extremely cold, the current conditions have warmed considerably and the ice is generally unstable. Northern California generally does not have the consistently cold temperatures to sustain ice on area lakes and ponds due to their size and water currents.
Skaters on Donner Lake at risk
Trending in: Ticker
- Jury finds in favor of Gallup
- Hyman sentenced to 11 years for attempted murder
- The Union's 'Best Of' voting now open online
- Iwo Jima veteran knows some stories too tough to share
- To prune or not to prune?: Choosing the right tree for the space