The Truckee Police Department and the Truckee Fire Protection District have noticed the recent surge in popularity of ice-skating on Donner Lake. This is worrisome, authorities said, because while conditions in the past month have been extremely cold, the current conditions have warmed considerably and the ice is generally unstable. Northern California generally does not have the consistently cold temperatures to sustain ice on area lakes and ponds due to their size and water currents.
Skaters on Donner Lake at risk
Trending in: Ticker
- Pleasant Ridge school warns parents after stranger offers ride
- Is it legal to shoot a gun in Nevada County?
- Penn Valley resident Chuck Yeager officiates ceremony for Beale AFB reservists
- New Alta Sierra cafe to open despite challenges
- To prune or not to prune?: Choosing the right tree for the space