Everett “Weary” Smith, a prominent elder in the local Nisenan tribe, died Tuesday at the age of 85. Smith was a veteran of World War II and the Korean War, along with being a very respected member of the local Native American community, said Shelly Covert, secretary to the Nevada City Rancheria Tribal Council.
Nisenan tribe loses respected elder
Trending in: Ticker
- Two women arrested after allegedly fleeing scene of crash
- Nevada City woman allegedly embezzled from children’s services nonprofit
- Fatal car crash claims mother, 3-year-old son
- Grass Valley officials cringe as North Auburn Wal-Mart clears development hurdle
- Trio arrested after reportedly stealing taxi