Everett “Weary” Smith, a prominent elder in the local Nisenan tribe, died Tuesday at the age of 85. Smith was a veteran of World War II and the Korean War, along with being a very respected member of the local Native American community, said Shelly Covert, secretary to the Nevada City Rancheria Tribal Council.
Nisenan tribe loses respected elder
Trending in: Ticker
- The Union's 'Best Of' voting now open online
- Penn Valley resident Chuck Yeager officiates ceremony for Beale AFB reservists
- Is it legal to shoot a gun in Nevada County?
- Blue Star Mothers honor Marines with dedication of Gold Star Memorial Bridge
- Ananda’s new leader aims to continue expansion