YOUTH SPORTS: Jr. Miners cheer shines in Battle at the Capital
November 18, 2015
The Nevada Union Jr. Miners cheerleaders traveled to the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium for the 2015 Sierra Valley USA JAMZ Battle at the Capital Cheer competition Saturday.
The Jr. Miners' four cheer squads all competed for a chance to earn an invitation to JAMZ Nationals Competition in Las Vegas, and that's just what they accomplished.
The NUJM Jr. Pee Wee squad took home a first-place trophy in their division and the Level Championship Award, and the Pee Wee team left with a fourth place ranking in their division. The Jr. Midgets team took eighth and the Midget team earned a sixth place spot in their category. All four teams scored high enough to earn an invitation to JAMZ Nationals in January.
The 45 Jr. Miners cheerleaders have been working hard since August to prepare for the competition, practicing 3-4 nights a week, sometimes in the bitter cold, to learn, perfect and perform routines, jumps and stunts that won them bids to compete in Nationals in 2016.
All four teams had amazing coaching staffs, including Nevada Union High School cheer instructors who created the routines and worked with the girls to make these wins a reality. The girls look forward to the possibility of traveling to Las Vegas to compete in nationals.
In addition to the four squads competing for titles, the Jr. Miner cheer program also had a team of four young mascots that performed for the entire crowd. The mascots, ages 5-7, went out and blew away the audience with their hard work and extreme cuteness.
For more information on the teams and information about joining the NUJM program, visit their Facebook page Nevada Union Jr. Miners Youth Football & Cheer or at http://www.nujuniorminers.org.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- NBA DRAFT: Kings take De’Aaron Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles in 1st round
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County Sheriff deputies respond to shooting victims near North San Juan
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County