Youth basketball coach Bubba Highsmith receives Christian Anthony Craig Award for sportsmanship
March 12, 2013
Bubba Highsmith was honored for coaching in the Nevada County Youth Basketball League Saturday when he received of the Christian Anthony Craig Trophy commemorating dedication to good sportsmanship, enthusiasm and team-player attributes.
"I was ecstatic," said Highsmith. "I coached three teams this year. One for first and second grade, one for third and fourth and another for fifth and sixth. I like teaching (the kids) to be leaders no matter what happens on the court."
Highsmith, who has coached in the league for five years now, also has three kids of his own who play.
Lennie Mitchell, who has operated the league since 1986, feels Highsmith to be extremely worthy of the recognition.
"Bubba has donated lots of time," said Mitchell. "He definitley deserves the award."
Mitchell has enjoyed building up youth in the community through sports over the years.
"I have taken 200 kids down to (Sleep Train Arena) and rented the court for two hours so the kids can play," Mitchell added.
The award pays tribute to Christian Anthony Craig, best remembered for his love of sports, who died at the age of 12 in 2006.
The Christian Craig Shoot-A-Thon is an all day fundraising event that will take place Saturday at NU with all money going toward youth sports in Nevada County.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial