Track & field records fall at Nevada Union, Forest Lake Christian
May 2, 2014
Nevada Union distance runner Garrett Migliozzi had a clear cut goal in mind at Wednesday's Sierra Foothill League track and field meet with Roseville — set a new school record in the 800-meter race.
"There was no real inspiration or anything, I just wanted to break the record," Migliozzi said.
He did just that, finishing in a time of 1 minute, 52.7 seconds to eclipse the prior mark of 1:53.1 set in 1987 by Jon Hottinger.
Migliozzi's time in the 800 ranks him second in the state of California and sixth in the nation, according to Athletic.net.
Migliozzi, a senior, said he looks forward to trying to set other school records before his prep career concludes.
"I'm going to set the record in the 1600," he said. "The 1600 record is going to go down."
Nevada Union wasn't the only local school to have track and field records fall this week as Forest Lake Christian saw several of its school records be claimed at a Sierra Delta League meet.
Senior Morgan Koch set the school record and league record in the high jump (4-10). Fellow senior Emily Pearce broke school records in the 400 (1:08), the discus (74-9) and the triple jump (31-1/2).
On the boys side, Garrett Jones set the school record in the 200 (24 seconds), and also took first at the meet in the 300-hurdles (44.2).
The Falcons placed third as a team at the meet.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- NBA DRAFT: Kings take De’Aaron Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles in 1st round
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)
- Marijuana grow murder case in Nevada County judge’s hands