Stampede rumbles at Ryquin
November 21, 2012
The Gold Country Stampede varsity lacrosse team went to the Ryquin Harvest Tournament Saturday at Sacramento State and took two out of three games.
After falling to Granite Bay 0-6, the Stampede came back strong and defeated the Woodcreek Timberwolves 7-6.
Building on strong play by their mid-fielders and defenders, the Stampede finished the day with a 7-4 victory over Folsom United.
"I couldn't be more proud of our young men on this team," Stampede head coach Chuck Hemmert said. "We are a very young team so we got into the tournament mainly to provide real game experience to our players. After a tough first game, it would have been very easy for our guys to drop their heads and dwell on all their mistakes they made. Instead they came out against a tough Woodcreek team, a team from our league, and put all of the first game issues behind them and turned in a very solid effort."
Returning senior attackman Luke Agnes led all scorers and garnered All-Tournament honors for his efforts. Senior attackman J.T. Mortara and freshman attackman Peter McDowell also contributed scores in Stampede's two victories.
Face off specialist and first line midfielder, Ryan Owen, excelled on the face off line by winning 95 percent of his face offs"
Recommended Stories For You
Morgan Hansen, a second year middle, scored his first career goal against Woodcreek and followed it up with a great assist to Agnes. Zane Weinberger led the Stampede on the defensive end with great physical play defending the cage.
"I was very proud of their heart and the desire they showed throughout the tournament," Hemmert said. "It was a great day for Stampede Lacrosse."
The Gold Country Stampede are actively recruiting for the Spring 2013 season. The Stampede are holding skill schools for new and returning players at Nevada Union High School from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on the second and fourth Saturday's of the month through December. The next skill school is on November 24. The first two sessions are free with a lacrosse stick provided. Girls and boys grades 2-12 can register now at http://www.gcstampede.com, or call Avery Blake at (530) 432-3243.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax soars to win over rival Bear River (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Miners struggle offensively, fall to Grizzlies
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Junior Miners start fast, top Rio Linda
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union set to face Granite Bay at Hooper Stadium
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house