Squaw Valley named the official training destination of IRONMAN
April 24, 2013
Tampa, Fla. and Olympic Valley, Calif. – IRONMAN is proud to announce Squaw Valley as the official training destination of IRONMAN for the western United States.
"We are extremely proud to announce this exclusive marketing sponsorship with IRONMAN, one of the most prestigious brands in all of endurance sports," said Andy Wirth, president and CEO of Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows.
"We feel there is incredible, immediate value in this sponsorship and huge potential for what it can evolve into over the coming years. We see this relationship as one step towards Squaw Valley becoming the region's epicenter of athletic development and training — not just limited to IRONMAN athletes or triathletes, but for all high-performance athletes."
As the official training destination of IRONMAN for the western United States, Squaw Valley will host official IRONMAN training weekends throughout the summer months. This sponsorship gives Squaw Valley the exclusive ability to host training weekends that will include specialized itineraries for high-performance athletes in a high-altitude environment. Details for designated training dates and itineraries will be coming soon. Additionally, Squaw Valley will have a selection of official IRONMAN merchandise that will be available to all its customers.
"We are excited to enter into this sponsorship agreement with Squaw Valley as they will be able to offer our IRONMAN community a terrific training experience," said Andrew Messick, chief executive officer for World Triathlon Corporation (d/b/a IRONMAN). "We are confident that Squaw Valley will continue to develop as a top-notch training venue for triathletes."
During the IRONMAN Lake Tahoe competition, the first IRONMAN Series event in California since 2001, Squaw Valley will be a transition stop between the bike course from Kings Beach, Calif., and the run starting from The Village at Squaw Valley to Homewood, Calif., and back. The IRONMAN Lake Tahoe competition is expected to include more than 2,500 athletes.
Recommended Stories For You
In addition to Squaw Valley's participation with the IRONMAN Lake Tahoe triathlon scheduled for Sept. 22. Squaw Valley will also have a presence at IRONMAN 70.3 St. George May 4 and at future IRONMAN 70.3 California competitions.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union blanked by Bulldogs
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans