Spring in their step: Familiar faces finish first at Spring Run
May 1, 2013
More than 130 runners pounded the pavement in Saturday's Spring Run 5K/10K in Nevada City with some familiar names at the top of the winners list.
Bjorn Jones successfully defended his 2012 Spring Run title in the 10K with a time of 40 minutes, 14 seconds. Makie Ohler was the first woman to cross the finish line in the 10K with a time of 44:15. Ohler also won the women's 10K at the Daffodil Run April 14.
In the 5K, Bear River distance runner Alex Coffman took first overall with a time of 18:24, and Sara Freitas was fifth overall and first in the women's 5K, finishing with a time of 20:22.
Other age group winners in the women's 5K were Riley Madigan (30:57) in the 10-and-under AG, Lexie Madigan (24:46) in the 11-14 AG, Jena Huber (27:46) in the 15-18 AG, Amanda Bratton (22:04) in the 19-29 AG, Jen Miller-Kohler (26:29) in the 30-39 AG, Jennifer Homan (21:53) in the 40-49 AG, Genielle Odom (32:34) in the 60-69 AG and Lynne Hurrell (32:16) in the 70-99 AG.
For Bratton, it was her second AG win of the season after taking her grouping in the Daffodil 10K April 14. Freitas was first in the 50-59 AG.
In the men's 5K, AG winners were Joey Bigley (29:48) in the 10-and-under AG, Lars Weston (19:42) was fourth overall and first in the 11-14 AG, Anthony Luciano (24:34) won the 19-29 AG, Larry Defeyter (19:36) was third overall and first in the 30-39 AG, Bobby Zucca (20:25) took the 40-49 AG, Steve Bond (20:58) was first in the 50-59 AG, Denis O'Halloran (21:29) took his second AG win of the season in the 60-69 AG, and Ronald Gross (25:22) won the 70-99 AG. The win was Gross' second AG win of the season after taking his grouping at the Daffodil Run in the 10K. Coffman took the 10 points allotted to the 15-18 AG.
Recommended Stories For You
In the men's 10K, AG winners were Joshua Fairchild (57:23) in the 11-14 AG, Robert Kahl (51:14), who claimed his second 40-49 AG win of the season, Philip Desjardins (43:53), who also claimed his second AG victory of the season, taking the 50-59 AG, George Raynsford (49:23), who took the top spot in the 60-69 AG, and Darryl Beardall (1 hour, 9 minutes, 3 seconds), who was first in the 70-99 AG. Jones claimed the 30-39 AG along with the overall title.
In the women's 10K, AG winners were Holly Harrison (56:38) with her second 15-18 AG win of the season, Emily Eppinger (48:06) in the 30-39 AG and Susan Alexander (52:32) in the 40-49 AG. Ohler won the 50-59 AG.
The next stop on the Gold Country Grand Prix is the Community Run 5K/10K May 18.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Junior Miners start fast, top Rio Linda
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans