Souza goes deep, GV Miners mercy-rule Reno
June 19, 2013
The Grass Valley Miners American Legion baseball team got solid pitching and well-rounded hitting Tuesday on their way to a mercy-rule victory over Reno, 8-0 in six innings.
The Miners' lefty hurler Garrett O'Callaghan was dealing from the slab, pitching a complete game, allowing just two hits and no runs while striking out four.
On the offensive end, the Miners' Joey Souza provided some pop with a solo home run coming on a 3-2 count. Souza, a pitcher and middle infielder, finished the day 3-for-4 with two RBIs.
O'Callaghan helped himself out with a 2-for-3 day, including an RBI.
Grass Valley's Dalton Maxwell ripped an RBI double in the win, center fielder Jakob Freele went 2-for-3 on the day, Jordan Jiannino added an RBI sac fly, Conner Upton accounted for an RBI and Sam Powell tallied a RBI. Noah Arriaga proved to have the best eye of the day, drawing three walks from Reno pitchers.
The Miners get the impressive win over Reno on the heels of a 6-5 loss to Redding on Monday that ended with a two-run walkoff home run in the bottom of the ninth inning by Redding.
The Miners (8-2) are in the middle of an eight games in nine days stretch that started June 11 against Bear River. The Miners are currently 5-2 during that stretch with six of the seven games played being on the road. Grass Valley plays one more game today then takes a few days off before a Saturday tournament in Susanville.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- NBA DRAFT: Kings take De’Aaron Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles in 1st round
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)
- Marijuana grow murder case in Nevada County judge’s hands