Ski: Nevada Union places 2nd at Alpine Meadows
January 27, 2014
Another sunny day on the slopes and another second place overall for the Nevada Union alpine ski team, competing Monday at Alpine Meadows.
“The Miners had some very strong finishes Monday,” said NU coach Kenneth Ramirez in an email. “Which is incredible given the lack of training in gates as a result of the poor training conditions. We have been concentrating on basic technique drills that can’t actually be tested until the kids ski with the poles in front of them and so far so good.”
The boys and girls teams’ continued to improve on previous races Monday, moving up several spots as each race passes.
This week Caspar Hendrickson led the boys team, taking second place with a time of 1 minute, 39.55 seconds. Peter McDowell finished in third place at 1:43.20. Ethan Good was right behind his teammates with a fourth place finish at 1:44.65 while freshman Jack Wright (2:20.36) held his ground for a 22nd place, rounding out the scoring spots for NU.
The Lady Miners continue to ski steady as Emma Stratman claimed seventh place with a time of 1:53.48. Mikaela Lujan wasn’t far behind with a 1:57.89 giving her the eighth spot. Anna Deutschmann at 2:12.62 clinched a 15th place and Emma Potter finished the scoring with a 2:19.22 for an 18th place finish.
The Miners next giant slalom race is Monday at Squaw Valley.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada City Planning Commission OK’s outdoor pot grows
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Nevada County homeless man given second chance with previous job
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping