TRACK & FIELD: Sierra Gold shines at USATF Masters Indoor Championships
March 1, 2017
Four members of the Nevada County Sierra Gold Masters' Track and Field team made the trek to Albuquerque, New Mexico over the President's Day Weekend to compete with some of the best Masters athletes in the nation at the USATF 2017 Masters Indoor Championships.
The team from Nevada County produced three national champions and scored 63 points during the three-day event to place 22nd out of 76 teams competing.
Winning gold in the throwing events was Kathy Slouber and Dick Hotchkiss, who earned two gold medals each. Hotchkiss competed in the 75-79 age group and won the weight and super weight events. Slouber, competing in the 65-69 age group, won both the shot put and weight throw.
On the track, Drue Mathies ran in the 70-74 age group and placed second in the 3,000 meter race, took second in the mile, fifth in the 800 and was a member of the gold medal winning 4×800 relay team. Inka Mims, running in the 55-59 age group, placed third in the 3,000, fourth in the mile and fifth in the 800.
"I'm proud of each and every one of them," said Sierra Gold coach Clyde Lehman, who added it was inspiring to see so many Masters athletes competing at such a high level. "There were more than 700 athletes from all over the nation and Canada. We saw a lot of amazing athletes."
Sierra Gold will be hosting the second annual Masters' Track and Field Festival May 20, at the Nevada Union track.
Lehman said he and the Sierra Gold team members handed out hundreds of flyers for the May 20 meet and expects a large increase in participants for this year's event.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- NBA DRAFT: Kings take De’Aaron Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles in 1st round
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Nevada County Sheriff deputies respond to shooting victims near North San Juan