Sierra College soccer dominates Big 8 post-season awards
December 12, 2013
The Sierra College soccer team's season ended too soon for newly anointed Big 8 Conference Coach of the Year Jason Gantt, but that didn't stop his players from dominating the conference, NorCal and national All-Star teams, the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) announced this week.
Six players from the 2013 Big 8 champion Wolverines were named to the All-Big 8 First Team. Leading the way was Brittney Bravo, who was named the Big 8's Attacking Player of the Year. The sophomore forward led Sierra in goals (10), assists (8) and a Big 8-leading 28 points. Bravo was also named to the NSCAA All-America Second Team and the All-West Region First Team.
Joining Bravo on the All-Big 8 team were sophomore forward Meghan Martell, sophomore defender Casey McCavitt, freshman goalkeeper Molly McConnell, sophomore defender Tiffani Rice, and sophomore forward Carissa Schlesinger.
The NSCAA also placed McCavitt, who according to Gantt was the Wolverines' "heart and soul," on its All-West Region Second Team.
The Wolverines led the Big 8 from week one, finishing with an 11-1-2 conference mark to earn the program's first Big 8 title. They earned the number two seed in the CCCAA NorCal playoffs, where they overwhelmed Las Positas College 6-0 in the opening round. A surprising 2-1 upset loss to Taft College in the second round kept Sierra from reaching the state final four for the second consecutive year, but left them with an impressive 17-4-2 overall record.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County