Sheldon parents claim bad behavior by NU fans
February 27, 2014
School officials and the California Interscholastic Federation are fielding allegations that racial and homophobic slurs were used by Nevada Union High School fans to taunt players and cheerleaders from Sheldon High School at Tuesday night's girls basketball playoff game between the two schools.
"I have received some emails that claim Sheldon players and cheerleaders had racial and homophobic comments made toward them," Nevada Union Principal Mike Blake said.
"We'll investigate and deal with the few, and we'll take steps to make it better."
Blake was on hand at the game along with Nevada Union Athletic Director Steve Pilcher, often standing near the student section, which the complaints target as the problem, Blake said.
Blake said at the time he was near the student section he didn't hear anything derogatory.
"It's not reflective of our student body, but it only takes a few to create a bad image," Blake said.
Nevada Union staff will also be addressing the issue in classrooms today before the Lady Miners take on McClatchy High School in the Sac-Joaquin Section D-I playoffs, Blake said.
Sheldon High School Athletic Director Denise Aguilar and Sac-Joaquin Section President Pete Saco could not be reached for comment by press time Wednesday.
Albert Ali Gymnasium at the Nevada Union campus was near its 1,616-person capacity for the game, in which the Lady Miners beat Sheldon, 77-47.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial