Setting a foundation
November 27, 2012
The Nevada Union boys basketball team used staunch defense Monday night to defeat El Dorado, 49-39, in a Foundation game at Albert Ali Gymnasium.
In his first start on the varsity squad, junior Nolan Stefani scored a team-high 14 points, including three 3-pointers.
The Miners held El Dorado to just 18 points in the first half and put the game away in the third quarter with a 19-5 run. Stefani scored seven of his 14 points in the third.
Returning All-Sierra Foothill League selection Cody Gardner added 10 points and played solid defense on El Dorado's best offensive player, said NU head coach Jeff Dellis.
Jason Mickel added eight points, and Lucas Vojak put in five in the win.
The Miners hit the hardwood again Thursday when they face Folsom at the Bill Cartwright Classic in Elk Grove.
Bear River 64, Dixon 42
The Bruins got 26 points from senior Justin Beskeen as they cruised to a 22-point Foundation game victory over Dixon.
Leading by five at halftime, Bear River ran away with the game in the third, outscoring Dixon 17-8, and never let the Rams back into it.
Beskeen was aided nicely by Tyler Hajewski, who scored eight of his 10 points in the decisive third quarter.
Bear River takes to the road Thursday to face Head-Royce at the Winter Wolf Classic.
Mira Loma 56,
Forest Lake Christian 43
The Falcons opened the season with a 13-point Foundation game loss at the hands of the Matadors.
Leading Forest Lake Christian was senior shooting guard Brandon Camacho with 13 points. Chase Augustino, a junior, chipped in nine points in the loss.
Forest Lake Christian will look to notch its first victory of the season Thursday against New Life Christian at the Faith Christian Tournament.
Nevada Union 80,
El Dorado 22
The Lady Miners started the season with a dominant 58-point Foundation game win over El Dorado.
Nevada Union jumped out to 20-2 lead early and never looked back. Junior guard Emma Peterson led the Lady Miners with 17 points, including four 3-pointers. Senior Nicole Lierly poured in 15 points, sophomore Sammy DeHart added 11 points and six rebounds, junior Melanie O'Brien chipped in nine, and junior point guard Erin Selleck scored nine.
Nevada Union hits the road Thursday and will take on Saint Mary's in the Christian Brothers Tournament.
Forest Lake Christian 63, Mira Loma 48
Behind a 25-9 fourth quarter run, the Lady Falcons defeated Mira Loma to start the season 1-0.
Sophomore standout Lauren Piner led Forest Lake Christian with 20 points, and senior Emily Woodward added 16 in the victory.
The Lady Falcons will look to keep the wins coming Dec. 7 when they take on Victory Christian at the Tillotson Memorial Tournament.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (530) 477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- PREP SOFTBALL: Bear River Lady Bruins bring hot bats into next round of playoffs
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball