Second time around
April 6, 2013
For the second straight year the Lake Wildwood Wonders tennis team traveled to Indian Wells, Calif. to compete in the BNP Paribas Open Senior Cup Tournament, and for the second straight year, the Wonders shined, bringing home second-place in the 3.5 division.
The BNP Paribas Open Senior Cup is a world-class amateur competition hosted at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden annually following the professional BNP Paribas Open. More than 800 amateur players competed in a doubles team format for players 50-years and older, and while the Wonders are comprised mostly of players in their 60s and 70s, that didn't stop them from making a run for the title.
The Wonders came up just short, the top spot going to a team from Alaska.
The Wonders were led by team captain Linda Bailey and coach Sue Smallman and the team is comprised of Nancy Eubanks Susan Browing , Joyce Taigen, Loretta Monteforte, Helen Hanson, Marlene Soldani, Trish Newlin, Mary McLean, Jewell Willis, Carol Dunbar and Sheila Miller.
Lake Wildwood also sent a men's squad to the tournament to compete in the 4.0 classification. The men's team was captained by Mark Bailey and comprised of Ken Maxfield, David Lee, Jack McGee, Jim Miller, Bob Stewart and Carl Gong.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Nora Pizzella helps Chico State XC to 2nd place finish in Washington
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union blanked by Bulldogs