Running: Spring Run marks 2nd stop on Gold Country Grand Prix
April 29, 2014
There's no doubt about it. Makie Ohler can run with the best Nevada County has to offer — no matter the age or gender.
Ohler, last year's Gold Country Grand Prix women's 50-59 age group (AG) champion, impressed at Saturday's Spring Run in Nevada City, winning the women's overall 10K with a time of 43 minutes and 10 seconds. Ohler, 51, was also just 8 seconds behind the men's 10K overall winner, David LaPlante (43:02). Ohler won her age group in all 10 races she competed in last year.
For LaPlante, 47, the win is his second of the season after claiming victory in the Daffodil 5K, the grand prix's first race. LaPlante is tied with Sergio Higereda in the 40-49 AG with 20 points each. Higereda won the 40-49 AG in the Spring Run 5K and the Daffodil 10K.
Ten points are awarded to the winner of each age group in each race. Seven points are awarded for second place, five for third, four for fourth, three for fifth and one point is awarded to those who finish thereafter.
In the 5K race, the men's overall winner was Devon Cloud, 16, with a time of 19:00. Cloud also won his AG in the Daffodil Run and leads his AG with 20 points. The overall winner in the women's race was Caitlin Oats (25:27). Oats, 28, finished second in the 19-29 AG in the Daffodil Run and leads her AG with 17 points.
Other 5K AG winners in the women's race include, Blue Bouck (34:09) in the 1-10 AG, Danielle Martin (27:50) in the 30-39 AG, Karen McMenomey (28:39) in the 40-49 AG, Tamara Hendrick (27:28) in the 50-59 AG, Karen Henderson (28:24) in the 60-69 AG and Lynne Hurrell (31:32) in the 70-99 AG.
Recommended Stories For You
Other 5K AG winners in the men's race include Zachary Fairchild (29:24) in the 1-10 AG, Joshua Fairchild (21:04) in the 11-14 AG, Jared White (39:02) in the 30-39 AG, Higereda (19:06) in the 40-49 AG. Steve Bond (21:12) in the 50-59 AG, Jim Bordoni (21:24) in the 60-69 AG, and Al Shook (24:05) in the 70-99 AG.
In the men's 10K race other AG winners were, Scott Krason (52:47) in the 30-39 AG, Andy Harris (46:47) in the 50-59 AG, Mike Buzbee (45:14) in the 60-69 AG, and Ron Gross (54:53) in the 70-99 AG.
In the women's 10K race other AG winners were, Emma Gunnison (1:04:40) in the 15-18 AG, Melanie Marsico (52:32) in the 30-39 AG, Stefanie Roberts (47:05) in the 40-49 AG, and Maeve Burke (54:07) in the 60-69 AG.
The next race in the Gold Country Grand Prix will be the Race for the Community 5K/10K set for May 17.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union blanked by Bulldogs
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans