RUNNING: More than 100 compete at Read, Write, Run! 5K/10K
May 30, 2017
The Gold Country Grand Prix made its fourth stop of the season May 20, bringing more than 100 runners and walkers through Nevada City for the first ever Read, Write, Run! 5K/10K.
Earning the overall win in the men's 5K was Josh Fairchild, 17, with a time of 18 minutes, 59 seconds. In the women's 5K, the overall winner was Jade Bittner, 10, in a time of 22:06. There were a total of 80 participants in the 5K.
Through four grand prix races, Bittner has won her 10-and-under age group all four times and leads it with 40 points. Fairchild leads the men's 15-18 age group with 37 points (three firsts and a second).
Taking home the overall win in the women's 10K was Melanie Marsico with a time of 47:16. For Marsico, it was her fourth straight win the women's 30-39 age group.
In the men's 10K, the overall winner was Kevin Selby, 44, with a mark of 43:51.
Earning wins in their respective age groups in the men's 10K were Raymond Wright (59:02) in the 70-79 AG, Kitt Flynn (44:27) in the 60-69 AG, John Tomnay (44:33) in the 50-59 AG, Selby in the 40-49 AG and Connor Drew (54:12) in the 11-14 AG.
Age group winners in the women's 10K were Jodie Lindberg (53:36) in the 50-59 AG, Jennie Groves (56:34) in the 40-49 AG and Marsico in the 30-39 AG. There were only 14 total runners in the 10K.
In the men's 5K, age group winners included Darryl Beardall (55:08) in the 80-99 AG, Gordon Keller (28:02) in the 70-79 AG, Denis O'Halloran (21:26) in the 60-69 AG, Andy Harris (23:28) in the 50-59 AG, Nate Moran (21:12) in the 40-49 AG, Jonathan Palmer (25:27) in the 30-39 AG, Fairchild in the 15-18 AG, Antonio Valenti (20:40) in the 11-14 AG and Cyrus Stevens (26:45) in the 10-and-under AG.
Over in the women's 5K, age group winners were Susan Madigan (25:18) in the 60-69 AG, Anne King (25:35) in the 50-59 AG, Stefanie Roberts (22:57) in the 40-49 AG, Claire Thibodeau (25:12) in the 30-39 AG, Meghan Oats (34:00) in the 19-29 AG, Grace Crenshaw (25:47) in the 15-18 AG, Megan Schreck (24:44) in the 11-14 AG and Biittner in the 10-and-under AG.
The Read, Write, Run! 5K/10K raised funds for the Nevada City School Foundation, which provides grant money to the Nevada City School District to support art, technology, health and wellness programs, and other special student programs.
Next up on the Gold Country Grand Prix circuit is the Run for the Community 5K/10K Saturday in Grass Valley. For more information about the event visit http://goldcountrygp.com or http://twincities.church/events/run-for-the-community.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- CYCLING: 57th annual Nevada City Classic will feature 2 days of events, festivities
- IN THE WAKE OF THE WEEK: Burns skates off with Norris Trophy; Iguodala to test free agency
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Nevada County Sheriff deputies respond to shooting victims near North San Juan
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Shortage of construction workers in Nevada County reaching critical levels
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case