Prep teams shine at subsections, advance to sections
November 8, 2012
Nevada Union's Garrett Migliozzi left the rest of the field in the dust at the Sac-Joaquin Section Division I Subsection Meet at Frogtown in Angels Camp.
The junior cross country runner finished a full 16 seconds faster than the second-place finisher with a time of 16:10.
Migliozzi's teammate David French finished 13th with a time of 17:03, and Kael Newton was 31st with a time of 17:38.
With the strong showing from the Miner team, the boys varsity squad earned a team berth into the section meet to take place Saturday at Willow Hill at Folsom High School.
Nevada Union's girls team also advanced to the section meet.
Freshman Nora Pizzella led NU with a ninth-place finish in a time of 19:55. Pizzella was followed by another NU freshman, Joy Castro-Wehr, who finished 24th with a time of 20:31. Chole Reindl took 35th (20:46).
The Bear River cross country team will race another day after qualifying for the Sac-Joaquin Section meet.
The Bruins qualified after a strong showing at the Division IV Subsection meet Saturday at Frogtown in Angles Camp.
Alex Coffman started the day off by qualifying as an individual entrant. It was a gusty performance, as Coffman has been battling a virus since Thursday, said Bear River head coach Kevin Vasquez.
The Lady Bruins were successful in qualifying both their varsity and junior varsity squads. Two top-20 performances were turned in by the varsity, led by a seventh-place finish by Mary Nattrass and a 16th-place finish by Sierra Mitchell. Nattrass continues to show why she is one of the best runners in the section.
The team was rounded out by Kimmy Pugel, Hallie Pettitt and Jessica Meylor. Overall the varsity squad placed seventh. On the JV side, the Lady Bruins were led by Jayne Livingston, who ran a great race with a 20th-place finish overall. The team placed fourth, and other contributing runners were Olivia Kirks, Lauren Beavers, Erica Higley, Taylor Autrey and Olivia Scinto. The day ended with a personal-record performance by Patrick Gillis in the freshmen boys race. He finished 10th overall and will move on to the section meet as well.
Forest Lake Christian
Makena Wong led the Lady Falcons at the Division V Subsection meet, finishing sixth overall with a time of 23:37.
Emily Negus was the next FLC runner to finish, clocking in with a time of 27:34. Anna Woodhall finished 34th with a time of 28:50, and Hannah Allington was 40th with a time of 30:58. As a team the Lady Falcons finished fifth out of seven teams.
Jaime Parrot was the lone boy runner for FLC, finishing 16th with a time of 20:07.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- GOLF: Music in the Mountains tourney turns 25
- TRACK & FIELD: Sierra Gold athletes shine at National Masters Track and Field Championships
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local