Prep roundup: Nevada Union’s Lowe wins Division-I North tourney, next stop Masters
May 5, 2014
Nevada Union golfer Logan Lowe, fresh off being named the Sierra Foothill League MVP last week, shot a one-under-par 71 on a windy Monday at the Rancho Solano Golf Course to win the Sac-Joaquin Section Division-I North Tournament.
"He started out three-over and then really turned it on," NU head coach Hank Davidson said.
Nevada Union's Derek Frank finished 10th overall with a 77, and along with Lowe earned a bid as an individual player to compete at the Masters meet Monday at The Reserve at Spanos Park.
The last time NU had a golfer win the Divisional Tournament was Erik Flores in 2005. Flores then went on to win the Masters Tournament that year.
Granite Bay won the team aspect of the tournament with a team score of 379. Jesuit was second with a 383, Oak Ridge finished third with a 396 and Davis was fourth with a team score of 482.
Forest Lake Christian 9,
The Falcons got a gem from Kyle Soria on the mound as they doused the Wildfires and moved into second place in the Central Valley California League standings.
Soria pitched a complete game, allowing one earned run, and striking out 10.
Soria also helped himself out at the plate with two hits, Brett Soria added an RBI, Cody Kennedy tallied two RBIs and Chase Augustino had an RBI and a run scored in the win.
The Falcons (11-10, 7-2 CVCL) will take on Mesa Verde today in a nonleague game before closing the regular season Wednesday against Victory Christian.
Woodcreek 7, Nevada Union 1
The Miners managed just one-hit against Woodcreek, losing to the Timberwolves in the first of three games this week.
Taking the loss for Nevada Union was senior Garrett O'Callaghan, throwing 5 1/3 innings and allowing seven runs, striking out six and walking two.
Dalton Maxwell had NU's only hit and RBI, coming on an infield hit.
Miners send 23 to section meet
The Nevada Union swim team qualified a whopping 19 swimmers and four divers for the Sac-Joaquin Section meets.
The section's diving meet gets underway Thursday at McLatchy High School and the section's swimming competition gets underway May 15 at Tokay High School in Lodi.
Bear River 9, Highlands 0
The Bruins opened the co-ed tennis playoffs with a resounding win over Highlands.
Bear River's Andrew Leonard led the way on the boys side, winning the No. 1 boys singles bout. Joey Cressa won the No. 2 boys singles match, Lauren Kenes won the No. 1 girls singles match and Cassie Smith claimed the No. 2 girls singles contest.
In doubles, Lily Carrow and Sofie Cutler won the No. 1 girls match, Kristen Dietrich and McKayle Miller took the No. 2 girls match. On the boys doubles side, Shane Green and Kale Adamson won the No. 1 boys bout and Garrett Kenes and Quinn McKay won the No. 2 boys doubles match. Ryan Silva and Lauren Brennan took the mixed doubles match.
The Bruins are back at it today against a Escalon.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- PREP SOFTBALL: Bear River Lady Bruins bring hot bats into next round of playoffs
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later