Prep Roundup: Nevada Union wrestling pins multiple top finishes
December 15, 2012
The Nevada Union wrestling team continued its strong start to the 2012-13 season with several top-five finishes at the 26-team Bear Creek Tournament.
Will Sumner and Jonny Callas led the Miner grapplers, both taking first place in their respective weight classes.
Callas, 8-0 this season and wrestling in the 154-pound weight class, beat a national All-American in an exciting finals match, said NU coach Gary Sumner.
Will Sumner, wrestling at 162 pounds, pinned all four of his opponents in the first period, winning in dominating fashion. He is 8-0 this year with eight pins and has yet to yield a point.
Third-place medalists were T.J. Hart in the 197-pound weight class and Kashe McHugh in the 134-pound weight class. Nate Story pinned down the fifth-place medal in the 222-pound weight class.
The Miners will a have a split squad coming up this weekend with Sawyer Mosel, Will Sumner and Callas heading to Reno's tournament of champions this weekend and the rest of the team going to Wheatland's Christopher Savedra Tournament.
Forest Lake Christian 72, Sacramento Adventist 36
The Falcons are off to a fast start, winning their first two tournaments of the year, and with their blowout win over Sacramento Adventist Monday are now 7-0 to open the season.
Leading FLC were Brandon Camacho and Chase Augustino with 16 points each. Ben Gamel chipped in eight points off the bench to help the Falcons to the win.
Forest Lake Christian will look to keep the wins rolling in Thursday when they head to the Victory Christian Tournament.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- NBA DRAFT: Kings take De’Aaron Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles in 1st round
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)