Prep Roundup: Nevada Union wrestling pins multiple top finishes
December 15, 2012
The Nevada Union wrestling team continued its strong start to the 2012-13 season with several top-five finishes at the 26-team Bear Creek Tournament.
Will Sumner and Jonny Callas led the Miner grapplers, both taking first place in their respective weight classes.
Callas, 8-0 this season and wrestling in the 154-pound weight class, beat a national All-American in an exciting finals match, said NU coach Gary Sumner.
Will Sumner, wrestling at 162 pounds, pinned all four of his opponents in the first period, winning in dominating fashion. He is 8-0 this year with eight pins and has yet to yield a point.
Third-place medalists were T.J. Hart in the 197-pound weight class and Kashe McHugh in the 134-pound weight class. Nate Story pinned down the fifth-place medal in the 222-pound weight class.
The Miners will a have a split squad coming up this weekend with Sawyer Mosel, Will Sumner and Callas heading to Reno's tournament of champions this weekend and the rest of the team going to Wheatland's Christopher Savedra Tournament.
Forest Lake Christian 72, Sacramento Adventist 36
The Falcons are off to a fast start, winning their first two tournaments of the year, and with their blowout win over Sacramento Adventist Monday are now 7-0 to open the season.
Leading FLC were Brandon Camacho and Chase Augustino with 16 points each. Ben Gamel chipped in eight points off the bench to help the Falcons to the win.
Forest Lake Christian will look to keep the wins rolling in Thursday when they head to the Victory Christian Tournament.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial