Prep Roundup: Nevada Union wrestling pins multiple top finishes
December 15, 2012
The Nevada Union wrestling team continued its strong start to the 2012-13 season with several top-five finishes at the 26-team Bear Creek Tournament.
Will Sumner and Jonny Callas led the Miner grapplers, both taking first place in their respective weight classes.
Callas, 8-0 this season and wrestling in the 154-pound weight class, beat a national All-American in an exciting finals match, said NU coach Gary Sumner.
Will Sumner, wrestling at 162 pounds, pinned all four of his opponents in the first period, winning in dominating fashion. He is 8-0 this year with eight pins and has yet to yield a point.
Third-place medalists were T.J. Hart in the 197-pound weight class and Kashe McHugh in the 134-pound weight class. Nate Story pinned down the fifth-place medal in the 222-pound weight class.
The Miners will a have a split squad coming up this weekend with Sawyer Mosel, Will Sumner and Callas heading to Reno's tournament of champions this weekend and the rest of the team going to Wheatland's Christopher Savedra Tournament.
Forest Lake Christian 72, Sacramento Adventist 36
The Falcons are off to a fast start, winning their first two tournaments of the year, and with their blowout win over Sacramento Adventist Monday are now 7-0 to open the season.
Leading FLC were Brandon Camacho and Chase Augustino with 16 points each. Ben Gamel chipped in eight points off the bench to help the Falcons to the win.
Forest Lake Christian will look to keep the wins rolling in Thursday when they head to the Victory Christian Tournament.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- CHP: Rough and Ready woman dies in ATV wreck
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville