PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Folsom for 5th straight win
March 20, 2017
The Nevada Union boys volleyball team made short work of Sierra Foothill League foe Folsom, topping the Bulldogs in three sets, 25-9, 25-20, 25-13, at Albert Ali Gymnasium Monday.
The Miners were balanced in their attack, getting 10 kills from Nick Ashbaugh, eight kills from Trevor Campbell, seven kills from Tanner Quiggle and five kills from Ibrahim Torkman.
Junior setter Sam Hales did a good job of running the offense, leading the team with 17 assists. Fellow junior setter Morgan Garten doled out 11 assists.
Senior libero Adam Dennis led the defense with a team-high 14 digs. Campbell tallied eight digs.
As a team, the Miners notched nine aces in the win, coming from five different players.
The victory is NU's fifth straight overall and third straight in league play.
The Miners (10-2 overall, 3-0 SFL) get back at it Wednesday at Granite Bay.
Oak Ridge 10, Nevada Union 4
The Lady Miners came out strong but couldn't sustain their offense throughout and fell to SFL foe Oak Ridge on the road Monday.
Nevada Union scored three runs in the first inning and another in the second inning, but didn't bring another runner across the plate the rest of the way. Oak Ridge matched NU's three runs in the first, then added two in the second, three in the third and one in each in the fourth and fifth innings.
Leading Nevada Union was Lexi Blackston with two hits and two runs scored. Kaitlin Trace added a hit and a run scored, Riley Newman also tallied a hit and a run scored, Mackenzie Enos went 1-for-2 and Alex Pussich added a base knock.
Next up for the Lady Miners (4-11, 0-2 SFL) is a Wednesday bout at Colfax.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- PREP SOFTBALL: Bear River Lady Bruins bring hot bats into next round of playoffs
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death