Prep roundup: Nevada Union tops Rio Americano in extras
March 7, 2013
The Nevada Union baseball team needed an extra inning Thursday to get their second win of the season, beating Rio Americano on the road, 4-3, in eight innings.
The game was knotted at one apiece headed to the extra frame. That's when NU's senior first baseman Cody Gardner got things rolling with a hit. Junior Joey Souza followed with a hit, and a wild pitch plated Gardner. An error on a later play plated another two Miners to give NU the 4-1 advantage heading into the bottom of the inning.
Rio Americano answered with a pair of runs, but Souza, who was pitching in relief of Ryan McCarthy, closed the door on the rally and NU left with the road win.
Souza went two innings in relief after McCarthy threw six innings, allowing one earned run and just four hits.
The Miners amassed seven hits on the day including 2-for-4 performances from second baseman Matt Paruszkiewicz and third baseman Travis Hansen.
The Miners (2-1) take the diamond again Tuesday when they host Bella Vista.
Recommended Stories For You
Bear River 3, Placer 0
The Bruins opened Capital League play Thursday with a straight set road victory over Placer, 25-18, 25-13, 26-24.
In the third and final set, Bear River trailed 21-10 when the Bruins' Justin Beskeen took service. The senior reeled off 11 straight "thunderous" jump serves to get Bear River back in the game, said Bruin head coach Lance Mansuetti.
The Bruins rallied to win the third set 26-24 to earn the straight-set victory.
Beskeen led all Bruins with 11 kills, Karsten Staples added nine and Tyler Hajewski tallied eight.
Bear River (1-0) takes the court again Tuesday when they host Rio Americano.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union grad Tanner Vallejo injured in preseason opener
- PREP FOOTBALL: Humphers returns to coaching, joins River Valley staff
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Logan Lowe has strong 1st round at US Amateur Championships
- PREP FOOTBALL: Defensive players to keep an eye on this season
- PREP FOOTBALL: Offensive players to keep an eye on in the upcoming season
- John Richard Green sentenced to over 200 years on molestation charges in Nevada County Superior Court
- 2 Colfax schools locked down after car vehicle suspect flees; suspect remains at large
- Pump Spill in Lake Wildwood
- ‘Know your neighborhood criminal’: Grass Valley man uses social media to identify ‘repeat offenders’
- Meet your merchant: Nevada City fashion designer creates wearable art from vintage recycled afghan blankets