Prep roundup: Nevada Union sweeps Rocklin
January 15, 2014
The Nevada Union girls basketball team notched its fifth win in a row and its second straight in the Sierra Foothill League, beating Rocklin 71-30 Wednesday.
The Lady Miners got a big game from post player Melanie O'Brien to lead the way. The senior notched a double-double with a team-high 16 points and 13 rebounds.
Senior Emma Peterson chipped in 13. Senior Sydney Porter and junior Sammy DeHart each added 11, and Katie Johnson netted nine.
Senior point guard Erin Selleck ran the offense well with six assists and four points.
She was also impressive on the defensive end with five steals.
In the game, the Lady Miners had nine of their 11 players score, and the defense held Rocklin to just 10 second-half points.
Recommended Stories For You
The Lady Miners (12-4, 2-0 SFL) take the court again Friday when they travel to face Granite Bay.
JV: Nevada Union 43, Rocklin 33
The Lady Miners bounced back from a Friday loss to Woodcreek by knocking off Rocklin Wednesday.
Nevada Union was led by Aycee Willis with a team-high 14 points. Shawna Latter scored 12 for the Lady Miners and also pulled down nine rebounds. Audrey Jacus did a little bit of everything for NU, scoring six points, grabbing six rebounds, nabbing three steals and swatting three shot attempts.
Nevada Union (11-5, 1-1 SFL) takes on Granite Bay Friday.
Frosh: Nevada Union 54, Rocklin 23
Behind Shaye Costanza's 14 points, seven steals and five blocks, the Lady Miners walloped Rocklin, beating the Thunder by 31 points Wednesday.
Gracie Sill added 10 points, five rebounds and four blocks for NU.
And Sophie Humphers had a strong defensive night with seven steals to go with her eight points and six assists.
The freshmen Lady Miners are back at it today against Granite Bay.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Junior Miners start fast, top Rio Linda
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity